Today’s special guest is attorney and Human Resources professional Mona Shah. With over ten years of HR experience Ms. Shah as accumulated a wealth of experience working in the field of human resources. Her impressive career spans various industries and includes working as an HR professional for Twitter, Kaiser Permamente and most recently California Pacific Gas & Electric.
SAFFIRE LEGAL PC’s founder and principal attorney Teresa McQueen talks with Ms. Shah about her views and insights into our traditional 9-5 culture and how the workplace dynamic is shifting to become more flexible. This engaging conversation delves deep into the ways companies are evolving to accommodate both local and international employees to obtain the best possible talent available.
“Market conditions, workforce demands, and globalization has changed the work culture and environment. The 9-5 brick and mortar isn’t working any more due to these factors. The work place is shifting to a more flexible and remote workplace.”– Mona Shah
Highlights from This Week’s Workplace Perspective:
- Employees get a better work/life balance and can work from home is a trend that is coming up and benefiting employers and employees.
- It’s not just tech industry that’s adapting this type of workplace – the remote workplace demand is driven by micro climates too. Even older companies are making changes to acclimate to this new environment.
- The difference between companies that are open to these changes versus some tech companies that have had these procedures were in place since the beginning of the company. There is an appetite for [remote workforce] and many companies are starting to figure out how to supply it.
- Need to implement policies and procedures and processes that are fair, consistent, scalable and sustainable to make sure that these distributed teams can be managed in the right way, Otherwise there is a lot of derivative types of things that can happen if these teams aren’t managed in the right way.
- “Distributed workforce” – anywhere from someone who is working flexible work hours or someone who is working remote full time or employees who are working in the office or around the office domestically or around the world.